Console heroes don't miskate

Jim Mischel jim at mischel.com
Tue Oct 8 10:37:33 PDT 2002

I guess I'm in the minority here.  I actually type all those commands to
build an LFS system.  At least, I have for my first two builds.  Typing the
commands reinforces the learning experience.  True, "make && make install"
gets old after a while, as does "tar -jxf".  But I can type many of the
commands much faster than I could copy, paste, save, and execute.  (Plus, I
haven't learned how to do more than just the basics with VIM...)

Do I make mistakes?  Yes.  And I learn from them.  Seeing what kinds of
error messages occur when you mis-type a directive or variable name is very
instructive.

I'm not sure what I'll do moving forward.  Typing all those commands has a
certain "macho" ring to it, but it's not very efficient.  I guess I could do
the copy/paste thing with joe (yes, you're looking at a former WordStar
addict).  Or I could go the fully automated route and visit alfs.

Jim

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org