Console heroes don't miskate

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Tue Oct 8 15:11:12 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 10:54, Archaic wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 10:33:46PM -0600, Ken Dyke wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 18:50, Archaic wrote:
> > > Use GPM for console mouse services which allows copy+paste.
> > > *snip*
> > > I'd rather type (example) mplayer my-fav-movie than
> > > click a few buttons.
> >
> > If you would rather type then be a mouse jockey why are you using GPM?
>
> Do you think this is so black and white?

Nothing in real life is truly as binary as black and white.

> I'm trying to figure out your
> intent and tone with this message, but will just assume humorous for
> lack of any proof. Either way, GPM has it's uses, and when using a
> laptop, (which my clumsy fingers don't like) the mouse comes in more
> handy than when I'm using a standard sized keyboard. Also, on the
> laptop, the mouse is at my thumb, so I never have to leave the
> "keyboard". :)

I am not trying to be mean or anything.  I was just struck by how you
were describing the power of the command line yet advocating the use of
a mouse.  My laptop has a belly button and it does not work worth a
damn.  I'm 6'4" and have fairly large hands which have taken quite a
beating over the years.  I keep them flexible by playing guitar and ...
typing. :-)

Become one with vim and grinding through an LFS build can be done more
quickly then with a mouse/highlight/copy/paste/save.  At least IMHO. :-)

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org