Console heroes don't miskate

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 9 06:22:02 PDT 2002

Yo,

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 08:41:39PM -0600, Rob Park wrote:
> What were the download statistics for LFS 4.0 again?

/me quickly checks while slacking in his morning IT class, heh :D

(stats last generated Midnight PDT, so a few hours old)

~500 via ftp, ~400 via http.  This is just on shadowfax also.  None of
the mirrors have given us details on their dl stats yet.

This was scary to watch, thou it's not as evident now;

http://stats.linuxfromscratch.org/mrtg/

http://stats.linuxfromscratch.org/bandwidth/2002/Oct/

We were using 99.9% of our bandwidth (8Mbps == 1MB/sec) for a couple of
hours (on and off) and we still had extra bw (we aren't exactly sure if
we have a fixed 8Mbps, but we were never lacking bw, even when she was
pushing more then we had.. so).  We got hit pretty bad by slashdot.

Inside of the first few hours apache had forked nearly 100 processes.
The load was spiking in the ~5.00 load briefly also.  Thou that quickly
settled down to ~50 forks/0.50 load while the leetching started with ~30
proftpd instances.

I got a kick during her nightly maintaince however.  An all time high of
12.62 (that I ever saw at least) was hit.. was quite interesting to see
it in effect and notice that shadowfax was even still responsive =)

(that almost reminds me when I saw quasar hit a high ~25.00 a few years
back when ghovs let pisg.pl irc stats for #LFS spawn multiple times by
mistake via a cron job, still only had a 1 second lag, heh :P)

Even considering all that, shadowfax did really well.  We've gotten hit
many times by slashdot, and this time was by far the wosrt one in terms
of bulk users/abuse on the server/bandwidth server.  She did really
well.

/me patpats shadowfax, one day i'll give you my spare WD u160 10k so you
can serve twice as much.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org