Immigration to Canada

S. Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Wed Oct 9 16:24:19 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 05:31, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> This worked for me, though my circumstances were a bit different than yours I
> think (I married a Canadian, which means out of humantarian and compassionate
> reasons they couldn't really refuse me to immigrate to Canada as long as I
> was able to prove it was a legitimate marriage and not one done just to get
> immigrated).

That should be so easy it hardly qualifies as immigration at all.  IANAL
but IIRC it's a fundamental point of international law (UN covenant on
Human Rights) that immigration rules may not split up families, so
couples from two different countries should be able to live in either
homeland.  All attempts to stop one member of a family from joining
others are basically illegal and can only be achieved by dubious
administrative tricks.  (Unfortunately several countries manage that
anyway;  Hong Kong, for example, is in the midst of a HUGE controversy
over a very similar point right now, and the government is much more
serious about keeping out people's spouses than in Canada or the US
where they might ask you a few silly questions to make sure you are
really married).

So unfortunately, Tush is likely to have a quite different experience
and probably will find it worthwhile to have a good lawyer/consultant.

*I* on the other hand, am looking at moving back to Canada next summer
or autumn, after 13 years living overseas, and my wife will be in the
same position you were in.  I hope our experience is as easy as yours :)

By the way, if you hear of a good 6-month or 1-year contract in or near
Vancouver, please give me a ring.  I'll buy pizza and beer for anyone
who gets me a good job.

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting