Console heroes don't miskate

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 10 16:14:58 PDT 2002

Yo,

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 05:08:00PM -0600, Rob Park wrote:
> Bah, that's nothing. I've seen load averages into the 1000's! ;)

What's your point?

I've brough my own boxes over the 1024 limit (after which the kernel no
longer keeps track) on purpose, just for the heck of it.  But that's
alot different then actually gaining real load because the system
_requires_ it.  Such was the case for us.

I also know plenty of Sparc/Solaris boxes that run around with a
constant 20~40 load everyday, but that's a different story.  You take a
single PIII 750Mhz w/ 512MB and 2x9GB 7200RPM UW2 SCSI and get a load
above 12.00 and tell me how responsive the system is :P

Heh.. like look at the idege.net LFS mirror.  They pulled the FTP
archive off-line because of the bw usage.  Ppl should be more thankfull
for the resources everyone has donated so far =)

Anyways...

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org