lfs4 on an oldtimer

Justin Knierim jrknierim at jrknierim.com
Mon Oct 14 07:10:05 PDT 2002

Florian Hess (FLoH):
>Hi LFS-ers,
>Just before installing an 'adult' linux distribution I was (and still
>am) eager to install a linux from scratch. Now I've installed a Debian
>distribution and thus gained some practical experience (puuh ;-).
>A week ago I've got a pretty old PC with p150 prozessor and 16m RAM,
>swap space 320m. How much patience do you recommend to me building a
>LFS system on it? For instance, how much hours will the glibc's
>compilation (or the kernel's, gcc's, binutils'?) roughly take? Would
>you recommend to cross-compile from a p200/32m (swap ca. 80m) machine?

As we speak, I have LFS 4.0 compiling on a P133 with 192 MB RAM with
Swap
of 128MB.  Of course, GCC and Glibc take quite a while.  For Glibc (ch.
6)
it took overnight, so I would guess around 7 or so hours.  For GCC (ch.
6)
without the "--enabled-languages" (building all languages) it took
overnight
and then until even noon.  So around 12 or more hours.  If you want to
know
how your system will do, start in the book, time the compile of Bash,
and
use the SBU's to figure out roughly how long it will take.  Should not
be
too bad.

I do not know if it would be much faster on a P200, so I think on the
main
system would be good.  It just takes a little more time.  :)  My laptop
with
a 75 Mhz intel proc (and max 20MB RAM) can also compile LFS 4.0, but GCC
And Glibc take around 3 days each!

Hope this helps!

--
  Justin Knierim