lfs4 on an oldtimer

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Mon Oct 14 08:52:18 PDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:34:32AM -0500, Jim Mischel wrote:
> I compiled LFS on my P200 with 64 MB of RAM, 200 MB swap.  glibc and gcc
> each took a little over 3 hours to compile.

HA! Got ya beat! 486sx/33 with 8MB RAM. Glibc took 27 hours. :) The
whole system, IIRC, was in the neighborhood of 5 straight days (all
scripted and non-stop with the exception that I set the script to wait
at make menuconfig as I didn't already have a preconfigured .config to
copy over). I used a partition that had a xcompiled LFS on it (that took
45 minutes to build from my main system) as the host. It was purely for
the hell of it. At least I know my memory isn't toasted....yet. :)

--
Archaic

--
You [should] not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it
will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it

- Lyndon Johnson, former President of the U.S.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org