lfs4 on an oldtimer

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Tue Oct 15 21:04:39 PDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 11:28:55PM +0100, Rui Ferreira wrote:
> 386/16 4MB
>
> Why do we keep this stuff?
> Do we need a psychological exam or something?

Try this. Replace the concept of the computer with something real
expensive (like a house).  Just because you get a new one, doesn't mean
the old one has no purpose or value whatsoever. Sure it's slow, but if
it can do a job, so be it.  Of course, I don't know exactly what someone
could do with a 386/16, but my old 486/33 makes a decent firewall, which
frees up my old 586/200 non-MMX for a fileserver, which lets me use my
slow 686 (650MHz) for email, web surfing, all-around system which frees
up both 1.3Mhz systems (one for LFS-testing, one for movie encoding and
storage), instead of them being the fileservers. :)

--
Archaic

--
Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best
state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one;

- Thomas Paine

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org