mac comps

Matthew Gibbons matthew at brightspark.eurobell.co.uk
Thu Oct 17 14:25:47 PDT 2002

Actually, I would contest that. The 386 that Linus bought - the one he
started to write Linux on - cost him and arm and a leg. IIRC, it was
somewhere in the region of $3,000, which is about the equivalent of $12,000
now.

PCs are cheap because they are built from commodity hardware, which became
that way because IBM 'opened' the architecture to the industry. Apple never
did that, so they are still expensive. Incidentally, Apple are now starting
to use more and more commodity components and less proprietary ones, so
either they make more money, or the price will come down. Hmm.

Cheers,
Matthew

news:20021017193404.GD195 at comcast.net...