mac comps

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Thu Oct 17 14:43:49 PDT 2002

On Thursday 17 October 2002 10:37 pm, Ian Molton wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:05:29 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk (Antony Stone) wrote:
> > Because the whole point of Linux in the first place was that it was
> > Unix written for affordable hardware
>
> to remind you of the original remark:
>      > x86 is cheap and plentiful. :)
>
>      And remember, if they weren't, Linux wouldn't exist. :)
>
> So, if X86 wasnt cheap and plentiful, what makes you think linux wouldnt
> exist?

Okay, it might *exist*, but it wouldn't be so widespread around the world as
it has turned out, without being based (primarily) on hardware which was
being promoted by two of the biggest marketing forces around at the time.

> Of course it would - just on one of the other cheap and plentiful
> architectures that was around at the time.
>
> The Acorn R140 was the first sub 4000ukp Unix workstation (at least in
> the UK)

Yeah, but look how successful they were at maintaining market share, compared
to Microsoft and IBM.   I'm not saying they made bad hardware, or wrote bad
software - they just didn't get it out in the market as successfully as the
x86 crowd did.

Antony.

--

Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,
but rather when there is nothing left to take away.

 - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org