mac comps

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Thu Oct 17 15:59:49 PDT 2002

On Thursday 17 October 2002 11:46 pm, Ian Molton wrote:

> > > incompetance?
> >
> > Ian, you need to revisit your history.  The PC was intended from the
> > beginning to be an open architecture system.
>
> Are you sure about that?
>
> As I recall, the BIOS stuff was kept under wraps, and the early IBM-like
> architectures 'clones' the BIOS, earning the name PC-clones.

I agree with Ken.   I recall the IBM PC as being an Open Specification (not
the internal circuit designs, but certainly all the functional specs as far
as interfacing with software and expansion cards etc was concerned),
originally so as to get other companies writing compatible software, and
building compatible interface cards.

The internals of the IBM Bios were secret too, but the functions it provided
weren't, hence companies like Award and Phoenix came along and created the
same functions in their own Bioses without actually copying the IBM code.

Some companies such as Compaq shot themselves in the foot by trying to
produce "better than IBM" IBM-clones, and they learned the hard way that the
market didn't want better functionality, it wanted compatibility.

Microsoft was perfectly happy all along because it didn't care who built the
hardware so long as it ran their programs.

Antony.

--

What is this talk of software 'release' ?
Our software evolves and matures until it becomes capable of escape,
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org