LFS IRC.

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Thu Oct 17 18:02:29 PDT 2002

On 17 Oct 2002 20:27:51 -0400
Billy O'Connor <billyoc at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> I do take offense.

Wouldnt be thew first time...

> First of all, before any of what you pasted from the #LFS irc channel
> transpired, this little exchange took place:
>
> <billyoc> spyro: fbbg
> <spyro> fbbg?
> <Tux> [fbbg]: Follow Book, Book Good.
>
> I notice you failed to include that.

I didnt include it, because I only had logs from the point I gave. that
was my whole log. it was grabbed from X-chat with copy-paste, and for
some reason the top went missing (probably because the text was longer
than the window - it REALLY didnt want to scroll properly.)

I DID invite people to post the full log.

>  We add these little factoids to
> the irc bot, Tux, so new(usually) users can be reminded of certain
> things with a minimum of effort by the #LFS regulars.

The price of cheese in tescos is about 2ukp for a block of cheap
cheddar.

I've followed the book before. I didnt WANT to follow it this time.

> You came to
> #LFS asking about an installation of glibc-2.3.x, which is not in the
> LFS book, and that upsets a lot of the regulars, myself included.

Poor you. sorry, but there wasnt anything saying 'Dont ask questions
about things not in LFS-<last released version>'

> The
> reason it upsets some people is that we try to help people, some of
> whom have never compiled a source file in their lives, install and
> configure LFS.

So? why would it upset you if I knew how to compile a file?

> The channel topic says it better than I could,
> "Current version: 4.0".

So what? its STILL LFS, even if one or two deviations are made. (note:
LFS = Linux From Scratch - not EVOLFS - exact versions only LFS)

> LFS 4.0 does not include glibc-2.3.x.
> You were reminded of this *immediately* upon your arrival.
> You stayed.
> You got flamed.

I was told it wasnt strictly by the book. NO ONE said I'd be nailed to
the ceiling for it.

> The same people who flamed you help 30 other people install LFS
> today.

Im *sure* they are wonderful people. honestly.

no, really I am.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org