mac comps

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Thu Oct 17 20:52:14 PDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:25:47PM +0100, Matthew Gibbons wrote:
> Actually, I would contest that. The 386 that Linus bought - the one he
> started to write Linux on - cost him and arm and a leg. IIRC, it was
> somewhere in the region of $3,000, which is about the equivalent of $12,000
> now.
>
> PCs are cheap because they are built from commodity hardware, which became
> that way because IBM 'opened' the architecture to the industry. Apple never
> did that, so they are still expensive. Incidentally, Apple are now starting
> to use more and more commodity components and less proprietary ones, so
> either they make more money, or the price will come down. Hmm.

Top posting is bad netiquette as you have to jump around the screen to
read things in order.

Now on to your disagreement. Forget absolute price back then. Relative
price is what we are talking about. Linus said the 386 was all he could
afford. Also, he wrote the kernel, as he also stated, as a means of
learning, by trial and error, exactly how this new architecture worked.
He had all the specs he could get, then began writing a kernel simply for
the purpose of knocking around with how it truly played out in his new
system. Therefore, Linux wouldn't exist as we know it if x86 wasn't
cheap. He didn't start to write a POSIX compliant Unix-like kernel for
the purpose of creating a Unix-similar OS. He just wanted to play with
his shiny new toy. It obviously evolved. :)

--
Archaic

--
When all government ...in little as in great things... shall be drawn to
Washington as the center of all power; it will render powerless the

- Thomas Jefferson, 1821

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org