mac comps

Conrad Newton conrad.newton at broadpark.no
Fri Oct 18 01:42:08 PDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 11:00:57PM +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Thursday 17 October 2002 10:58 pm, Ian Molton wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:31:19 +0000 (UTC)
> >
> > Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk (Antony Stone) wrote:
> > > IBM opened up the specs for the PC
> >
> > Hehe. IBM kept the PC architecture in tight fists.
> >
> > someone else cloned it.
>
> So why didn't IBM sue ?

I cannot find a reference, but from what I recall
they DID sue, but reverse engineering the BIOS
is perfectly legal, and IBM lost their case.

http://oufcnt5.open.ac.uk/~richard_lawton/Section%206%20Notes.html

So the combination of reverse engineering and IBM's lost
lawsuit opened the floodgates for the PC clones.

Conrad

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org