LFS IRC.

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Fri Oct 18 03:43:21 PDT 2002

On 17 Oct 2002 23:42:10 -0400
Billy O'Connor <billyoc at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> steveb at creek-and-cowley.com ("S. Bougerolle") writes:

> > > <Tux> [fbbg]: Follow Book, Book Good.
> >
> > Billy, does this look like a helpful comment to you?
> >

> Yes, it does, it's one of the more useful ones we have.

Well, I guess its plain that I shant need to bother returning to LFS IRC
then.

> It lets
> someone know in no uncertain terms they will have to do what we do if
> they want to have what we have.

Four legs gooood, Two legs Baaaaad.

> The above exchange usually precedes
> the #LFS visitor stating that they *didn't* follow the book exactly,
> which may or may not work, as you know.

I *knew* I wasnt following it to the letter, I didnt WANT to follow it
to the letter.

something like 'IF you dont follow the book to the letter, you might not
find our suggestions any help', followed by 'Have you tried xyz?' or
'Sorry, I cant help you as I dont know anything about package xyz you
installed' would have been polite.

> > He asked a question and you gave him a flippant response.  Going by
> > what YOU wrote, I'd say that is rude.  That may be a normal level of
> > rudeness for the channel, but that just proves Ian's point.
>
> Well, I've read many things you've written here on the mailing lists,
> Steve, and I value your opinion.  But not as much as I value my time
> spent in #LFS answering questions.

So dont answer them, then, or tell someone WHY they are unlikely to get
an answer (without being rude).

> Frankly, I hear "Thank You" a lot more than "You're rude", so unless
> the irc channel operators instruct me otherwise, I won't be treating
> anyone any differently than I do now.

If your idea of help is stuff like 'fbbg' then Im not even slightly
surprised you dont hear 'thank you' very often.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org