mac comps

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Fri Oct 18 05:34:53 PDT 2002

On Friday 18 October 2002 1:27 pm, Matthew Gibbons wrote:

> The real question is, would Linux have existed if Minix had been better?

That sounds like we're discussing spelling, not technology.

If Minix had been 'better', and had turned into the Open Source operating
system which took over the world, then we'd have Minix today instead of Linux.

Who cares what it's called ?

The point is that it was only going to happen if there was enough cheap
compatible hardware available for hackers to develop the code on, and it was
only going ot become popular if there was enough cheap compatible hardware
available for users to try it out on.   That's where the x86 PC came in.

Antony.

--

Documentation is like sex:
when it's good, it's very very good;