mac comps

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Fri Oct 18 08:52:33 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 09:35, Ian Molton wrote:
> Indeed. Linux was a 'next logical step' technology.

I am not sure that is was 'logical' but it was certainly a successful
mutation.

>From an operating system design point of view the early kernels were
actually quite conservative.  What was radical was the development
model.  For students of evolution this only makes sense.  Change too
many factors at once and it is likely to drop through a hole in the
fitness landscape.

By not changing any essential feature of the unix model but taking a
'long mutational step' to exploit the new environmental resource that is
the Internet there was a 'evolutionary bloom' which has since expanded
to create an whole new niche that did not exist before.

Now that is niche has stablized, kernel and other software is/has begun
to break new ground.  That is to say, innovation is a foot in this new
region of the fitness landscape.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,