mac comps

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Fri Oct 18 09:47:37 PDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 01:34:53PM +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Friday 18 October 2002 1:27 pm, Matthew Gibbons wrote:
>
> > The real question is, would Linux have existed if Minix had been better?
>
> That sounds like we're discussing spelling, not technology.

Not really. One of the biggest complaints from Linus was the lack of
features and the refusal of AST (Andy Tanenbaum) to consider updating
it.

<quoting AST>

As most of you know, for me MINIX is a hobby, something that I do in the
evening when I get bored writing books and there are no major wars,
revolutions, or senate hearings being televised live on CNN.  My real
job is a professor and researcher in the area of operating systems.

</quoting>

Linus starting asking for suggestions from Minix users about what they
liked and didn't like about Minix (suggesting that he was going to
directly compete). This pissed AST off. :)

This was in a comp.os.minix thread where he was trying to rip Linus a
new hole for writing a monolithic kernel and Linus was trying to defend
his reasoning. The thread was called "Linux is obsolete" (Jan. 1992). :)

--
Archaic

--
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
revolution inevitable."

- John F. Kennedy

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org