mac comps

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Fri Oct 18 10:17:45 PDT 2002

On Friday 18 October 2002 5:47 pm, Archaic wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 01:34:53PM +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
> > On Friday 18 October 2002 1:27 pm, Matthew Gibbons wrote:
> > > The real question is, would Linux have existed if Minix had been
> > > better?
> >
> > That sounds like we're discussing spelling, not technology.
>
> Not really. One of the biggest complaints from Linus was the lack of
> features and the refusal of AST (Andy Tanenbaum) to consider updating
> it.

Yes, but this is included in what I would mean by "Minix being better".

I agree that it's precisely because Minix wasn't good enough, and the then
maintainer didn't agree with Linus' thoughts on what to do, that Linux was
born.

> This was in a comp.os.minix thread where he was trying to rip Linus a
> new hole for writing a monolithic kernel and Linus was trying to defend
> his reasoning. The thread was called "Linux is obsolete" (Jan. 1992). :)

Yes, I know.   I've read it.

Antony.

--

If you want to be happy for an hour, get drunk.
If you want to be happy for a year, get married.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org