back...

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Tue Oct 22 11:05:22 PDT 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:57:06 +0000 (UTC)
heartboy at nycap.rr.com (Joe Morris) wrote:

> I've got it set so that the system will shut down if CPU temp gets
> above 50 C.

BIOSES arent terribly reliable. try lmsensors anyway.

> Right now I'm trying kernel 2.4.19 with pre-empt.

Try without pre-empt. its known to have stability problems.

> I've
> been running 3 threads of prime95 for about 45 minutes now with no
> problems, though each thread does not take more than 8% of the cpu
> with this kernel

Run a few more then...

> (though my continuous kernel compile takes 33%).

is this an SMP box or something? my CPU goes up to 100% for most of a
kernel compile...

something is awry. is your HDD running at full speed?

> XMMS
> still complains once in a while about not being able to access the
> sound card,

I think this is unrelated. is the soundcard loaded as a module? is it
getting removed by something? devfs? makedev?

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org