e-mail service

tristan twem2-lfs at eridu.org.uk
Tue Oct 22 14:01:10 PDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 02:37:56PM -0400, Simon Roby wrote:
> Anybody know free e-mail service providers that are NOT WEB-BASED? I'm sick
> and tired of this web-based e-mail horror that seems to get more and more
> popular these days. I use Hotmail for the sole reason because Outlook
> Express can use it just like a non web-based system, but that's just an
> half-assed solution. Damnit, last year I used my college's e-mail service,
> but now the clowns who manage this apparently decided that web-based e-mail
> was better, so it's back to Hotmail for me. ARGH!!!

My solution was to pay for hosting...
Worth it if you're also going to do some web hosting (or have friends
who need webspace as is my case).
I get pop access, shell access (I do pay more for that) and webmail
(which isn't too bad really for occasional use)

It is frustrating not to have many free pop/imap services though :-(
(luckily my uni offer web, telnet (pine), pop3 and imap access, and they
aren't likely to get rid of any of them, but then again they have a
clue, exim was/is written here by someone in the Computer Services)

Sorry, getting rapidly off topic...

Tristan