back...

Jochen Schröder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Tue Oct 22 15:06:03 PDT 2002

Joe Morris wrote:
> JS> I had the same problem a few days ago, my cpu tempurature was
> reading
> JS> -127 C :-).
>
> What do you use to cool your CPU? I could use another refrigerator in
> this small dorm :)
>
> JS> Pretty high for an Athlon 1800XP but I didn't have any
> JS> trouble so far even under heavy load, so I don't worry too much
> about it.
>
> Huh, I guess I have a special chip :) I heard that the Thoroughbred-Bs
> were horrible overclockers, does that translate into lesser stability at
> higher temperatures?
Probably, although I might not be your CPU which is causing the trouble.
I wouldn't put to much trust into the CPU temperature measurements of
the athlons anyway. The CPU temp is measure by a diode _close_ to the
die, unlike the P4's where the temperature is actually measured on the
die, which is a lot more accurate. I think this changed with some of the
athlons, but most boards don't provide a chip that reads out the on die
temperature, so even if your cpu supports it your board probably
doesn't. Sorry I can't be of more help :-(
Cheers
Jochen
P.S: I'll try running the prime95 test one of these days just to see if
my board is really stable.

--
[X] Nail here for new monitor

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org