back...

Jochen Schröder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Tue Oct 22 15:41:05 PDT 2002

Joe Morris wrote:
> IM> I read where you say LM sensors read negative. either Jochen is
> right
> IM> about the diode/resistor thing, or one of the sensors is not
> connected /
> IM> floating.
>
> IM> you could always stick a good old fashioned temperature sensor in
> there
> IM> - a thermometer! :)
>
> IM> in any case, I'd try to look for ways to improve your airflow.
>
> I finally got it to read above 0, but I don't think 25C idle is
> accurate. It will climb up to ~55 under load, however.
> Joe
Well you either have a real cool cpu, or maybe your settings aren't
right yet ;-). Have a look at http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
to find out what chip reads out your temperature, then you can have a
look at http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/ to find out if exactly that
chip is supported. You might also want to try and get the datasheet for
that chip, then you can configure the sensors readout in sensors.conf
(normaly in /etc)
Cheers
Jochen

BTW I don't think that temperatures over 60 C make the newer athlons
unstable, mine is running at ~67C idle and more then 70C under load and
I know several other people who have athlons getting to temps over 60C
under heavy load. I remember reading someting of the critical
temperature being around 95C, but as I said before the temperature
readings are really inaccurate if they are not measured on die anyway.
--
[X] Nail here for new monitor

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org