Fwd: (no subject)

R. Quenett qcal at quen.net
Wed Oct 23 10:55:43 PDT 2002

from Ian Molton:

" >  - Like good from evil
" > or
" >  - Like night from day
" > or
" >  - Like Windows from Linux
"
" What are you talking about? I know what 'like black from white' means,
" bnut I fail to see why it should mean any of the rest.

It doesn't.

But it does _point_ to those comparisons specified and to many more,
simply by flagging that such comparisons exist (where there's one,
there are usually many more).  The common expectation, often flawed,
is that a person will more or less automatically select the
appropriate one from that universe without an explicit pointer.

<tongue in cheek>Leaves a teeny bit of room for potential
misunderstanding (the more so if the expectation is cross-
cultural or cross-gender (but I repeat myself;)), right?/<tic>

http://www.quen.net

"Fix reason firmly in her seat and call to her tribunal every fact,
every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God;
because, if there is one, he must more approve of the homage of
reason, than that of blindfolded fear."  --Thomas Jefferson
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org