lfs-4.0 Makefile - devpts

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Wed Oct 23 12:02:03 PDT 2002

I am finally getting back to the system I created with the 4.0-Makefile.

I see that it uses devpts.  I have never used or even looked into what
this is.  Looking in the lfs ml archive I see a message
../lfs-support/2002/06/0380.html where Archaic says:
> Everytime you open an xterm there has to be 2 devices IRC.
> And therefore, to try and keep you from running out, dozens of static
> tty* are created which takes up space and fills your /dev directory.

I've google a bit on it.  Looked at the devpts source for comments
(nada) and I still do not understand why I would want to implement this.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,