Fwd: (no subject)

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Oct 23 20:32:27 PDT 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:42:33 +0000 (UTC)
da02043 at mail.ikasths.dk (John Nielsen) wrote:

> Autistics CAN read between the lines. We just dont do it in the same
> way as you normal people do it.
>
> You know how to do this instinctively and the correct meaning of irony
> just pops up into your brain. We have to memorize different structures
> of irony

To clarify - we can appear *almost* completely normal, but it takes
extreme ammounts of effort. Many autistics will maintain a facade during
the day, and then crash totally when they return home to a safe
environment (I did this for a year and a half, to and fro from my job.
it nearly killed me).

When I say almost, we are almost never as quick at emulating NTs as they
are.

Oh, and another thing - an autistic who wrote a book on coping, and was
viewed as basically 'cured' by NTs, stressed himself so much emulating
NTs that he topped himself. the stress level is real, serious, and in
many cases, downright dangerous.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org