lfs-4.0 Makefile - mtab and lost disk space

Marc Brekoo marc at brekoo.no-ip.com
Fri Oct 25 05:12:44 PDT 2002

On 24 Oct 2002 20:27:11 -0600, Ken Dyke <ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net>
wrote:
> 1) not unless they have changed the way they do accounting
>    (I took a year long sabbatical and am just now starting to come
>    back
>     up to speed on things.)
> 2) it is ext2fs
> 3) I just built this in a minty, spring fresh partition
>
> I also do not understand why it is being reported as /dev/root instead
> of /dev/hda4 like it should be(?).  I don't remember which thread it
> was in now but I seem to remember a comment about the kernel hackers
> having something to do with this.  If that is true, what are they
> trying to do/solve so that I can google on it?

Well, all I know about the /dev/root showing up in df's output, is that
it magically disappears when you remove the /etc/mtab -> /proc/mounts
link, like described in the mtab-hint. But I don't know why...

BTW, I just thought up a fourth possibility on the missing meg's from
your root-partition. Perhaps it has to do something I just saw when
creating a fresh ext2fs. Mke2fs reports that it has reserved 5,00% of
the total space for the superuser. Oddly enough, the 52megs of space
you're missing are just about 5,00% of your fs size. When I take a look
at the df-output I sent, this theory could be correct too.

	Marc.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org