lfs-4.0 Makefile - mtab and lost disk space

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Fri Oct 25 09:37:34 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 06:12, Marc Brekoo wrote:
> Well, all I know about the /dev/root showing up in df's output, is that
> it magically disappears when you remove the /etc/mtab -> /proc/mounts
> link, like described in the mtab-hint. But I don't know why...

I still do not either but, yes it does.

> BTW, I just thought up a fourth possibility on the missing meg's from
> your root-partition. Perhaps it has to do something I just saw when
> creating a fresh ext2fs. Mke2fs reports that it has reserved 5,00% of
> the total space for the superuser. Oddly enough, the 52megs of space
> you're missing are just about 5,00% of your fs size. When I take a look
> at the df-output I sent, this theory could be correct too.

Good one.  Your answer led me to read man mke2fs where:

       −m reserved‐blocks‐percentage
              Specify the percentage of the filesystem blocks reserved for the
              super‐user.  This value defaults to 5%.

My only explanation regarding the missing space is that when a person
comes back to something they have left alone for an extended period they
have either forgotten lots of details and/or notice things they had not
noticed before.  The latter is part of the reason for taking sabbaticals
in the first place.  To step back and get a new perspective on things.

Thank you for answering.  While I still do not understand the mtab issue
entirely, I am now aware of it and will keep my eyes open to it.  More
importantly, I feel that I can now go on about my BLFS system
development.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,