More scripting questions

Eric Miller emiller at techskills.com
Fri Oct 25 13:19:24 PDT 2002

>Want to suppress JUST the compile output, not the feedback
> from the script, it is stepped for debugging and just so you know what the
> heck is going on.

You could try redirecting output, but I doubt this would work very well.

Well, can I run it in the background, without any complile or ownership
issues?

> -Does anyone know how to script a routine that will show the progress of a
> process?  For example, can I nest a make script inside some while or other
> command that will return a % complete at time intervals or a makeshift
> progress bar (.....)

If you knew exactly what .o files the compiler is supposed to make, then
you could periodically count them, divide by the total, multiply by 100,
and that's more or less a %-complete. Making an actual progress bar it
pretty much impossible without ncurses or slang. Unless you just want
"one dot per .o file" instead of "this percent of the line has dots".

does the compile need to complete before the next line in the script
executes?  If not, I can do that!  My first question remains, however, any
output to the screen will be useless if I cant supress the compile output,
or cause it to run in bacground.  If we can't do that, then the % complete
would just scroll up all mashed in with the compile output, not exactly the
snazzy effect I am looking for :)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org