it's very strange..

Tushar T tush at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 25 19:59:03 PDT 2002

<Moved from lfs-support>

Please attribute the replies properly. It is difficult to understand
which part of the message is yours and which one is someone else's.

Eric Miller wrote:

>Eric Miller wrote:
>

>>Man, I got yelled at for scripting questions on the support threads....even
>>thought they are indirectly related to installs.
>>
>>Now, I post my questions to chat, and nobody answers... :(
>>
>>Richard, now you know why I posted them to this, more trafficked, board!

That doesn't mean that the questions have to put to the wrong group. If
you are hanging out in a Java forum, you won't like question regarding
C++ syntax.

>Maybe becoz most of the questions that you have broughtup can be
>answered by a single reading of the Bash related howtos?
>
>I couldn't agree more.  Im sure if I need to know how to spell the capital
>city of Yeomen I could easily be referred to geography book, ironically as I
>stand next to a geography professor in a room full geography grad students.

If our all students in our Java class had approached the professor for
every syntax or API question, he would have probably resigned. He taught
us how and where to get information. He taught us the use of online API
documentation, the Java FAQs, which books to refer to, etc. Basically he
taught us how to help ourselves.

In the above example you gave, the irony is that once you are in an
atmosphere where the prof is not around, you will be stuck cos you
always depeneded on him.

>In my experience, most how to's are the beginning of a long click-fest of
>poorly written an nebulous information.  Man pages are great, but a little
>hard on the eyes.  (LFS how tos not passing judgement, I have read some
>goodies!)

If you don't like read the man pages, you can try their online version
(just google for online linux man pages). Not reading them is not an excuse.

All your questions are answered in the Advanced Bash Scripting Howto,
which numerous people redirected you to. And it is an excellent piece of
documentation.

>Two days ago, I had never written a bash script in my life, now I have my
>LFS system half done, all scripted.  Thanks to the positive people in this
>thread who choose to be helpful.

Are you are implying that I was not!!!??? I believe I did answer some of
your queries.

>1.  A person asks a question
>2.  You either:
>	2a. know the answer and
>		2a1.  help the person.
>		2a2.  attempt make the person feel stupid, while allowing others to help.
>
>	2b. do not know the answer and
>		2b1.  think it could be in a howto or man page, and reply as such thus
>appearing (incorrectly) to be part of
>			the solution.
>		2b2.  keep quiet.
>
>Most people respond well to 2a1, or 2b2.  I see so much 2a2 and 2b1, its not
>even interesting anymore.

1. A person asks a question when:
   1a. He is new and needs help on where to search for documentation.
   1b. He knows where the documentation but is too lazy to read it.
   1c. He has read the documentation but has not found anything
approrpriate for him and is stuck.

Most of the "answer" guys respond well to 1c and are tolerant of 1a. But
I see so many of 1b that its become very irritating.

BTW, I don't mind if you post your queries to lfs-chat, anything goes
here. It is just not appropriate for lfs-support.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org