International Languages

A.Melon juicy at melontraffickers.com
Sun Oct 27 07:09:35 PST 2002

> tristan wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 09:48:34PM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> > > On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:57:05 +0000 (UTC)
> > > shamblrd at hotmail.com ("Simon Roby") wrote:
> > >
> > > Oh? what do YOU think the most commonly used internationall
> > > spoken languages are?
> >
> > English and Spanish.
> > Chinese languages are used by huge numbers of people but aren't
> > internationally spoken (ie they're restricted to a few countries
> > albeit with a massive combined population)
>
> Depends - there's a fair bit of immigration into NZ from that part
> of the world. In certain situations (around university, on the
> bus), I find there are nearly as many people speaking asian
> languages (mostly
> cantonese and korean, I think) as speak English.

Chinese is also used a fair amount in southeastern Asian
countries (e.g., Singapore, Malaysia).  My guess, though,
is that it would still come in behind English and Spanish
for international use.  (Rather curious, that Spanish,
being used by maybe 200 million or so in the Americas, is
not used uniformly throughout Spain)  Then there is Arabic,
which is the language of choice in more than a dozen
countries, some of which have quite large populations.
French is also a common language, being often used in
not only France and Switzerland, but also North America,
the Caribbean, many countries in Africa, and some countries
in Asia.  Portugese and Dutch also have an international
following.  And then there is Swahili, the lingua franca
of eastern Africa.  Quite a few international languages
out there...

BK

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org