[Re: Spreading my own linux distro]

Tushar T tush at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 27 20:01:56 PST 2002

Eric Miller wrote:

>This brings up another question I have been meaning to post.  Is there a
>binary only version of LFS, of another distro that is similar?  I am familiar
>with Gentoo (which compiles, not binary) and some others, but are there any
>that are as clean (no or very little directory structure altering or extra
>garbage) like LFS?

Nope, no binary only packages cos there is no package format or fixed
guidelines for installation. LFS is just a guide to install the pacakges
you want, the way you want. Some people like optimizations, some don't,
some prefer to install everything in /usr, other prefer /opt or
/usr/local. So one binary package won't fit all.

You can check out sourcemage, I think the baggage in sourcemage is far
less as comprared to gentoo.

>I have the LFS CD (damn, its good!), and I have read the how to on burning a
>finished LFS system to CD, but what about a binary LFS that can be installed
>to a physical disk like a distro?  Is this alfs? Is it done?  Does it work?

So basically BinaryPkg != *lfs.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377