[Re: Spreading my own linux distro]

Eric Miller emiller at techskills.com
Mon Oct 28 07:09:33 PST 2002

>that are as clean (no or very little directory structure altering or extra
>garbage) like LFS?

Nope, no binary only packages cos there is no package format or fixed
guidelines for installation. LFS is just a guide to install the pacakges
you want, the way you want. Some people like optimizations, some don't,
some prefer to install everything in /usr, other prefer /opt or
/usr/local. So one binary package won't fit all.

	Thats what I thought.  What is the feasbility of booting from the LFS cd,
formatting and mounting some physical partition, cp /, chroot to new
partition, and then monkeying around with lilo to get it to boot?  I hope
this is not a stupid question, I am just curious.  The stuff on the CD is
all binary, and if you can get that same directory structure on a physical
disk, set up swap on the HDD, and then get lilo to point to that instead, it
seems possible?  That would qualify (at least for me) as an all binary
installation.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org