[Re: Spreading my own linux distro]

Tushar T tush at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 28 07:45:28 PST 2002

Eric Miller wrote:

>	Thats what I thought.  What is the feasbility of booting from the LFS cd,
>formatting and mounting some physical partition, cp /, chroot to new
>partition, and then monkeying around with lilo to get it to boot?  I hope
>this is not a stupid question, I am just curious.  The stuff on the CD is
>all binary, and if you can get that same directory structure on a physical
>disk, set up swap on the HDD, and then get lilo to point to that instead, it
>seems possible?  That would qualify (at least for me) as an all binary
>installation.

Ah! that is possible. Try the archives for "how to move lfs from one HDD
to another". You can use the same concept. Compile all the packages you
need, burn them to a CD and then copy them to the box/partition you
want, install a boot loader and you are set. Also, if you want the
flexibility of package management, you can use checkinstall (i hope i
got the name right) or something similar that create packages for easy
installation.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377