[Re: Spreading my own linux distro]

Joe Morris heartboy at nycap.rr.com
Mon Oct 28 07:56:05 PST 2002

>you can use checkinstall (i hope i
> got the name right) or something similar that create packages for easy
> installation.

I've had problems with checkinstall and some programs (X, bison being a
couple). You must test your packages when you use checkinstall, as it can
leave things out. Personally I think you should install each package
separately into another directory and use Slackware's makepkg to make a
tarball. I tried restoring my system using my checkinstall-created packages
and it failed with horrible consequences. Just test the packages and don't
use it to install the base system. Good luck.
Joe
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org