Vsound is no more (the DMCA strikes again)

DJ Lucas dj_me at swbell.net
Mon Oct 28 10:58:50 PST 2002

""Simon Roby"" <shamblrd at hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Pardon my ignorance, but what is Vsound?
> --

Vsound was/is an audio loopback device.  And it's still availible on
tucows.
"Virtual loopback sound recorder and real audio converter"
Basically allows you to set "what you hear" as the recording device if I
understand it correctly.  This is a function built into the sblive
soundcard.  As best I can tell, the program is only circumventing
copyright laws if used incorrectly.  Here is a link to debian's brief
description.  http://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/vsound.html

One very real example of proper (legal) use that I can think of, is
using multiple audio aps to write music.  As opposed to recording
samples to a .wav and then  mixing, in some cases it's may be much
easier to simply record it if you are using a bunch of simple sounds
over an existing track.  :-$  I really can't see how they would say that
this is specifically for circumventing copyright laws....only that it
could be used incorectly to do so.  At that, it becomes a problem of the
creators of the sound files themselves...not vsound's! BTW, you can do
this very easily in Windows (have been able to for a long long
time)....lets shutdown Microsoft!!!!! lol

DJ

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org