kernel config howto

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Mon Oct 28 11:57:59 PST 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 11:20, Jim Mischel wrote:
> I wasn't able to find such a thing.  It sure would have been useful.
>
> For my first LFS build, I copied the config file from my host system, then
> started menuconfig and read the help info for almost every option.  I ended
> up turning off most of the stuff from the host system, so on the second
> build I just started with the default.  It took me several hours in multiple
> sittings to go through the menuconfig:  reading the help, scanning the
> Documentation directories, scouring the /proc file system for interesting
> tidbits, etc.  But, my system did boot first time around, and I learned one
> heck of a lot.

I don't think the hint about using the host config file was in the book
when I started but, in any case, yeah, I have done the same.  Yet, even
after building a dozen or so systems I still do not have a warm fuzzy
feeling that I have tied all loose ends.

Some of the help files regarding a fix or whatever merely suggest that
"if you don't know click yes as it won't effect anything" sort of
reasoning.  I really dislike this type of solution.  It is not elegant.

As Richard stated "...good luck trying to keep it up to date"
Especially, as they are implementing a new configuration system for the
next stable kernel series.  Perhaps someone will hack something together
in their 'copious free time' (see jargon file).

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,