Vi/Vim Substitution For Microsoft Word Characters

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 28 14:17:45 PST 2002

On Mon, 28, Oct, 2002 at 10:12:54PM -0500, Bryan Breen spoke thus..
> So I want to make a simple search and replace line for vi[m]. I have tried
> some of the following, with no success:
>
> %s/\306/'/gc
> %s/\\306/'/gc
> %s/^\306/'/gc
>
> (That last one, the ^ was made with a CTRL-V press, followed by a CTRL-\,
> thinking maybe it was looking for an ASCII escape sequence... grasping for
> anything at that point).

Have you considered piping it through tr?  man tr should help.

Mark

"But Yossarian *still* didn't understand either how Milo could buy eggs
 in Malta for seven cents apiece and sell them at a profit in Pianosa
 for five cents."
     Catch 22, Joseph Heller
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org