no LFS in the Source section of Distrowatch??
distro.watch at msa.hinet.net
Tue Oct 29 07:28:28 PST 2002
On Tuesday 29 October 2002 11:06, Eric Miller wrote:
> Mr. Bodnar-
> Just wanted you to be aware that LFS (newest version at 4.0) is also a
> source-based linux project that should be included on your very highly
> trafficked site:
> While not available in a source/install package like Gentoo and others,
> it's fair to say that it qualifies for inclusion on this list.
Hmm... Technically you are right, it does qualify as a source-based
distribution. There are a few reasons why I haven't included LFS on that
1. LFS, even the CVS branch does not change on a daily basis like Gentoo and
2. LFS is a very basic system so the majority of the fields in the table would
be empty. This might create a perception that LFS is not rich in features.
3. The idea behind the source distributions page is to monitor what the
source-based distros are working on. It includes their development branches,
as opposed to stable releases.
4. Once I include LFS, it will only be fair to include other similar distros
based on LFS or at least similar in concept. You might be surprised, but
there are quite a few of them: Arch, BYO, Core, LRs, Murix, Neat, TA, maybe
5. My last reason: Gerard hasn't asked me to ;-)
I have considered the idea, but my reasoning has always rejected it. I am open
to suggestion, so if you give me 6 reasons why it should be included, I might
just put LFS in. Also, what do others on the list think of this?
LFS does of course have its own page at:
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org
and put 'unsubscribe lfs-chat' in the subject header of the message
More information about the lfs-chat