/home partition size

David C david at desolateonline.com
Tue Oct 29 17:39:52 PST 2002

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 07:32 pm, you wrote:
> Greetings all.
>
> 	I'm about to do my third LFS install. This time I'd like to
> experiment a bit with using a partition scheme a little more
> elaborate than simply / plus swap. My reason for this is so that if I
> decide to rebuild LFS or screw it up so bad I have no choice, then at
> least I'll still have some stuff salvaged. I can't decide how big to
> make /home though. I have no specific plans for this machine, just
> various desktop uses. I will probably install a few games on it as
> well, such as the old Loki ports.
> 	I'd like to hear anyone's suggestions on alternative partitioning
> schemes, and which directories can be saved during a rebuild without
> much trouble.
> 	Oh, and just what is the purpose of giving /boot it's own partition
> anyway? I have read up on partitioning schemes and everyone seems to
> disagree. I understand putting /var and /tmp on their own partitions
> can help by keeping their size in check, but why /boot?
>
> David C.

I forgot to mention the drive I currently have installed to house LFS is
a 5.4 GB. My host is on another drive so LFS can have the whole drive.
Also, I have a stack of other drives on hand to choose from, ranging in
size from 3GB to 12GB. I used the 5 gigger becuse I already had it
installed and it seemed like enough to me.

David C.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org