/home partition size

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Oct 29 17:57:51 PST 2002

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 07:51:22PM -0600, David C wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 October 2002 07:43 pm, you wrote:
> > From FHS:
> > "On some i386 machines, it may be necessary for /boot to be located
> > on a separate partition located completely below cylinder 1024 of the
> > boot device due to hardwar constraints.
> > Certain MIPS system require a /boot paertition that is mounted MS-DOS
> > filesystem or whatever other filessystem type is accessible for the
> > firmware. This may result in restrictions with respect to usable
> > filenames within /boot (only for affected systems.)
> >
> > Ref: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.5.html
> >

> Ahh ok, thanks. Since my system is somewhat newer (Athlon T-Bird
> 1.4Ghz/KT7A-RAID mobo) and I know for a fact it works fine without a
> seperate /boot partition, I'll go ahead and skip that one.
>
> Thanks for the info and link.

There is also the safety aspect of having /boot as a separate part.

Cut'n'pasted from the Gentoo install doc:-

"Here's a quick overview of the standard Gentoo Linux partition layout.
We're going to create at least three partitions: a swap partition, a root
partition (to hold the bulk of Gentoo Linux), and a special boot partition.
The boot partition is designed to hold the GRUB or LILO boot loader
information as well as your Linux kernel(s). The boot partition gives us a
safe place to store everything related to booting Linux. During normal
day-to-day Gentoo Linux use, your boot partition should remain unmounted.
This prevents your kernel from being made unavailable to GRUB (due to
filesystem corruption) in the event of a system crash, preventing the
chicken-and-egg problem where GRUB can't read your kernel (since your
filesystem isn't consistent) but you can't bring your filesystem back to
a consistent state (since you can't boot!)"

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org