Why Ext2?

Joe Morris heartboy at nycap.rr.com
Wed Oct 30 18:37:04 PST 2002

> I think ext3 would be a natural progression, and its backward
> compatible...

I fully agree with Ian.  Journaled filesystems are the future now.  They are
fast and don't require lengthly fsck's at boot.  Most people appreciate that.
As for ext2 being the 'linux default', that is no longer holding true.  Most
major distros out there use ext3 or reiserfs as defaults now.  Since ext3 is
simply an extension to ext2, it would make sense to include the tune2fs -j
command in the LFS book.  To me it just makes sense.
Joe
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org