Why Ext2?

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Wed Oct 30 20:45:07 PST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 19:37, Joe Morris wrote:
> > I think ext3 would be a natural progression, and its backward
> > compatible...
>
> I fully agree with Ian.  Journaled filesystems are the future now.

There is a complete rewrite of much of the fs support, especially block
devices in the 2.5.x kernel.  Feature freeze is tomorrow.  Reiser posted
today that he will submit patch "on Hallowee", LVM is in, Linus does not
seem to like EVMS but it may end up in 2.6 anyway because it is IBM's
baby (Linus said this evening that EVMS will not make feature freeze).

My point is this, there are plenty of hints for journal fs.  We can wait
a bit longer and see what 2.6 is going to look like.  Then if we like,
we can upgrade the default fs at that time.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,