I think I blew up an AMD Athlon.....

Cedric cedric.de.wijs at softhome.net
Wed Dec 3 14:53:50 PST 2003

At 10:06 PM 12/3/03 +0000, you wrote:

>On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:40:16 -0500
>Bennett Todd <bet at rahul.net> wrote:
>
> > Someone whose computer's heatsink has fallen off, unbeknownst to
> > them.
>
>Which *now* (and before) is and was a very rare event.

I will _never_ accept suicidal processors. It's an expensive chip remenber,
rare times expensive is still a lot of money, (and anger!)

> > Either in the referenced article, or one linked off it, there was
> > mention of a batch of systems shipped whose heatsink attachments
> > weren't up to the violence experienced during shipping.
>
>Yes, nearly.
>
>the moutns *were* up to their job, or at least the one they were
>designed for. It just that people started making MASSIVE copper
>heatsinks instead of small aluminium ones. the heavier sinks were beyond
>the specs.

The heatsinks are ALWAYS to small, that's why they need the cheap and
_noisy_ fans. The mounts are also _not_ up to the task.

> > Normal users don't open the case to make sure the heat sink is
> > securely attached before first powering up.
>
>You dont need to - they RATTLE.

I rather _dont_ shake something i just payed 1000 or more Euro's for, thanks

> > Another thing I saw in the articles was a mention that AMD's
> > heatsink attachment wasn't as positive as Intel's, making this a
> > likelier scenario with their chips.
>
>At the time they were VERY similar.
>
> > Making a CPU robust with no heatsink at all, at least to the extent
> > of shutting down rather than burning up, seems like a worthwhile
> > exercise to save customers some trauma.
>
>nah. the 'flip-chip' dies will get damaged anyhow (maybe not as much but
>still). older P-IV and P-III chips had metal covers so those may survive
>well but the more recent ones dont have this anymore.

so all newer chips are just worse than the older ones. Damn cutting of cost....

Regards,

Cedric,

Linux believer since KNOPPIX 3.2 / LFS 4.0