I think I blew up an AMD Athlon.....

Cedric cedric.de.wijs at softhome.net
Thu Dec 4 09:39:47 PST 2003

At 04:55 PM 12/4/03 +0000, you wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:29:13 +0100
>Cedric <cedric.de.wijs at softhome.net> wrote:
>
> > >how do you protect a 1cm square die with a thermal diode a few microns
> > >across? the diode cant tell if one transistor on the other side of the
> > >chip is burning up, and at the end of the day, one transisotr is all
> ti takes.
> >
> > Um, as far as i know the die hasn't got that much heat resistance that the
> > sensor can't tell if the transistor 5 mm away (if the sensor is in the
> > middle, it should!) is overheating.
>
>you might consider how small ONE transistor is. even if it got white hot
>it wouldnt heat the die up 5mm away. they are *microns* across.
>
> > >AMD obviously decided if it got detectably overheated it isnt goign to be
> > >worth saving.
> >
> > Nope, amd only reports the temerature, and doesn't take any action itself.
> > It depends on a bugfree bios to take care of it. Never a good idea to let
> > something  else control if you're dying...
>
>SOMETHING has to throttle the clock. if not on the chip, sometwhere else.
>
>it DOESNT need to depend on the bios either, thats just how SOME
>manufacturers decided to use the function (others did NOT).
>
> > >Intel seem to think they can manage it.
> >
> > I have indeed proof of intel handeling it. If they weren't protected i
> woud
> > be down a celeron 366 (@416) and a P3-766 (@766)
>
>if I may ask, how did you manage to de-heatsink them? I've owned about 50
>PCs and NEVER had a heatsink come off. in fact I've never had one of the
>many I repair have a heatsink come off either.

I have attached the heatsink to the P-III with rubber bands (the ones the
mailman uses) That was the only way my costom made heatsink would fit on
the P-III-socket-to P-II-mount (slot a i guess)

The celeron overheated when the wire of the fan fell out of the connector
Regards,

Cedric,

Linux believer since KNOPPIX 3.2 / LFS 4.0