Opteron Options?

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon May 9 05:55:09 PDT 2005

On Sat, 7 May 2005, John Gay wrote:

> Well, the day is fast approaching when I'll get my Dual Opteron, but now I've
> a choice to make.
>
> I've been quoted aprox 470 Euro +VAT for a Tyan S2885 Motherboard or 260 Euro
> +VAT for an MSI K8T-Master2 FAR?
>
> >From what I can find, I know the Tyan board has seperate memory banks for each
> processor, as well as a split PCI-X bus, so It's like two complete computers
> on one board. Whereas, on the MSI board, the two processors have to share the
> memory and PCI bus.
>
> Also, The Tyan, being larger and needing a special power supply, also needs a
> larger and much more expensive case.

John, opterons are rather out of my league (I was interested in them
until I realised how much a couple of 248s would cost - I'm into
Cool'n'Quiet) but I'll just throw in a few comments.

First, the K8T doesn't use standard athlon64/opteron coolers, it seems
to use Pentium4 coolers (lack of space) which may make them noisier.

Couldn't find anything definitive on this particular Tyan - thought I'd
found it, but it appeared to have a similar memory layout to the MSI.
Which brings me to my second point - 4 sticks of memory, but maximum is
3GB (i.e. 2x1GB, 2x512M), just like my athlon64 board.

Certainly the Tyan will need a bigger case, but you need to check the
power requirements of both boards, I think you'll find they both need a
'workstation' PSU with extra connectors.

Ken