Planning a move.

Richard A Downing FBCS CITP richard at 109bean.org.uk
Mon May 23 08:42:03 PDT 2005

Archaic wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 01:48:48PM +0100, Richard A Downing FBCS CITP wrote:
>
>>What else should I be doing to make sure this (IT-wise at least) all
>>works as smoothly as possible?
>

> Is there no way to order phone service ahead of time to ascertain DSL
> availability?

Yes. Once I have a definite GO from my lawyer.

(Under English Property Law a buyer can pull out without penalty up
until the signed contracts are exchanged - usually just 2-3 weeks before
the actual completion (moving) date.  No-one in their right mind
exchanges contracts until the Local Authority searches are complete -
otherwise you might find you have no planning permission for the house,
or, even worse, a Chancel Repair Covenant - which means you are
responsible for mending the local church!
It might all work out, but this is the second time this year - the first
time my buyer's buyer DID pull out at the last moment!)

I expect that it will take BT some time to allocate a number, then my
ISP will need time to check out the service.  I gather that because of
the length of copper, the true line perfomance can't be predicted.

I'm always a pessimist when it comes to 'services'.... :-)

R.