suggestions for hardware

Jaqui Greenlees jaqui_greenlees at yahoo.ca
Tue Dec 19 10:44:49 PST 2006

--- Colin Dean <cdean at cs.westminster.edu> wrote:

> Jaqui Greenlees wrote:
> > * 512MB DDR-II  PC4200 RAM
>
> You're definitely going to want to add another 512
> MB stick.

maybe, since I don't really do much multimedia stuff
with my systems, most often just cli use, I rarely use
even 256 mb up. :)

> > * ASUS Nvidia 6200TC/64256/ 256MB PCI-E
> > ( change this because of spotty nvidia support for
> > linux )
>
> I was under the impression that nVidia's Linux
> support trumps all of its
> competitors, as both the open source and binary
> drivers are far superior
> to the ATI ones. Has that recently changed?

I've always seen nvidia problem questions on linux
support forums, and rarely seen ati problem questions.
I also have been using an ati rage 128 xl video card
for years with both xfree86 and xorg and never had a
single issue with it.
[ default xfree86 / xorg ati drivers function
perfectly, giving 1280 by 1024 at 24 bit depth and 75
Hz refresh ]

I know nvidia's proprietary drivers work, for majority
of functionality, but have heard that they are a
problem for installation and configuration.