suggestions for hardware

Wonkey Donkey wonkey_donkey at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 20 01:57:42 PST 2006

Jaqui Greenlees wrote:
> --- Colin Dean <cdean at cs.westminster.edu> wrote:
>
>> Jaqui Greenlees wrote:
>>> * 512MB DDR-II  PC4200 RAM
>>
>> You're definitely going to want to add another 512
>> MB stick.
>
> maybe, since I don't really do much multimedia stuff
> with my systems, most often just cli use, I rarely use
> even 256 mb up. :)
>

>>> * ASUS Nvidia 6200TC/64256/ 256MB PCI-E
>>> ( change this because of spotty nvidia support for
>>> linux )
>>
>> I was under the impression that nVidia's Linux
>> support trumps all of its
>> competitors, as both the open source and binary
>> drivers are far superior
>> to the ATI ones. Has that recently changed?
>
> I've always seen nvidia problem questions on linux
> support forums, and rarely seen ati problem questions.
> I also have been using an ati rage 128 xl video card
> for years with both xfree86 and xorg and never had a
> single issue with it.
> [ default xfree86 / xorg ati drivers function
> perfectly, giving 1280 by 1024 at 24 bit depth and 75
> Hz refresh ]
>
> I know nvidia's proprietary drivers work, for majority
> of functionality, but have heard that they are a
> problem for installation and configuration.

Jaqui,

FWIW I have been using nVidia under Linux for a long time now, and in terms
of installation and configuration, they really aren't too troublesome at
all.

They have certainly changed a lot from a few years ago when getting them to
work was an art form in itself.

If you, or indeed anybody else needs any help getting them setup, please
feel free to message me. I'm always happy to help.

Regards.

Steve.