suggestions for video hardware

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 11:44:03 PST 2006

On 12/20/06, jerry <jdinardo at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> I have just subscribed to this list so I can not reply to "suggestions
> for hardware" message but as nobody mentioned open source drivers, I
> thought I would.
>
> With pcie video on your MB, your choices are limited. The Ati X300 and
> I believe X600 work with xorg 7.1. I carelessly bought an X1300 without
> checking and it has no support(even 2d) with the xorg ati driver
> because it has no 2d. I think I read somewhere that 2d is simulated
> with the 3d hardware. I gave that away and bought the X300 because
> I update kernels and everything else quite often and I do not care for
> the hassle of binary drivers (plus i hate the tainted kernel message).
>
> If you are not looking for ultra high performance gaming hardware, I
> belive that the intel video is your best bet. There are good open
> source drivers (I belive they are supplied by intel) for both kernel
> and xorg. I think you will have to buy intel cpu for this option.
>
> I bought ny 1st intel cpu/chipset in years recently for no reason
> except the video driver issue with pcie MBs. I bought a core 2 duo
> and it is faster than my athlon x2 at about the same price.
>
> jpd

Intel G965 support appears to be planned for Xorg 7.2, (Bought myself
a nice beautiful new motherboard.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get Xorg 7.2 compiled yet (3 full
weekends of trying)
, but that's another story (maybe for blfs-support when I got spare time).

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------